18 May 2010

Nonna Apa Pizzeria Trades Goods Sign for Bad


Nonna Apa Pizzeria is a great little slice join on Clinton Street down near Delancey. I was dismayed, however, when I recently walked by and saw they had replaced their classic old sign with this rather charmless new affair. I could have sworn I once posted a picture of the old sign, but I can't find it. Here's a link to Google Maps, which still shows the old sign. In form, it was much like the new sign, only it was wider, and white, with "Pizza" in big, red letters. They've retained the "Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner" wording and the old slice silhouette with the banner across it. But the brick background robs the sign of its former stark beauty.

2 comments:

Dino said...

I totally agree. Of course, I suppose we should be glad this building and the block it is on have not been razed like most of the blocks that run along Clinton Street did.

I have the site Dino's Then and Now and lament what how much of the Lower East Side of yesteryear has been erased from the map. Thanks for linking the site (I will link yours once I figure out how to configure the menu).

You have a great site. Keep up the great work.

michael said...

I don't know. I'd say it's a wash.