07 September 2008

What's Good About the 14th Street F Line Subway Station


More than any other Manhattan subway station I know, the otherwise grimy, depressing 14th Street F line station evokes the subway world of yesteryear. This is because the MTA, for whatever reason (laziness, sentimentality) has left intact tiled signs pointing passengers to the long-defunct Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit (BMT) subway, the Independent Subway (IND), which was run by the City itself, and the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad (H & M, long before the clothing store), which ran between New York and New Jersey.




4 comments:

Ken Mac said...

those white tiles are kind of charming too. I think the 14th st station is not as heavily traveled as it once was. Heck, that corner held the orginal Macy's right? Back when 14th between 5th and 6th was the shopping hub of the city. Too bad west 4th, just few blocks south, is the worse hellhole subway in the city!

Richard Nickel, Jr. said...

That's awesome; I'm going to have to head down there and check those out at some point!

I'm still trying to figure out a way into City Hall station - now THAT I'd like to see! ;)

Nokorola said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

There's a tiled H&M sign in the Herald square station as well and I always wondered why it would be pointing to the H&M store on 34th Street... now I know better. Thanks.